The nonprofit network is delivering 80,000 real-time hospital notifications a month to help improve care for Californians
[Emeryville, Calif. – May 16, 2019] — It’s been just over two years since Manifest MedEx formed to connect health information for patients and providers across the state of California. The statewide network now has more than 400 participating hospitals, health plans, and provider organizations exchanging information in real time for 17 million people — approximately 40 percent of Californians. By unlocking health data from silos, Manifest MedEx is helping health leaders reduce costs, enhance care, and improve patient experience.
Among other services designed to put information to work, Manifest MedEx delivers 80,000 notifications each month to medical providers in real time when their patients are admitted, transferred, or discharged from the hospital. Bringing the right data to the right provider at the right time, these actionable insights improve patient care — for example, ensuring primary care physicians know when their patients are having a serious health issue and helping care managers plan for safe transfers from the hospital to recovery at home.
Additional progress since last summer:
- Grown to include more than 70 hospital participants and five health plans
- Rolled out a $60,000 per hospital bonus program for participants that join the network before May 31, 2019
- Selected for a $4.9 million grant from the Emergency Medical Services Association (EMSA) to connect California’s ambulances and emergency departments
- Profiled in Modern Healthcare by ACO participant that was able to reduce ER visits and improve post-discharge follow-up using MX data and services
- Added new major participants Health Net, Scripps Health, and AHMC Healthcare
- Transitioned to a scalable new technology infrastructure with partners InterSystems, Verato, HBI Solutions, Audacious Inquiry, NextGate, and CareCom
- Added Paul Biberkraut as chief financial officer (formerly of Pacific Partners Management Services) and Sandra Parker as general counsel and chief privacy officer (formerly of The Permanente Medical Group)
- Presented on their innovative utility model for health data exchange at HIMSS and SXSW conferences
Later this summer, Manifest MedEx will launch a new suite of MX Analyze tools to help providers put network data to work for their patients. Free for all small practice providers, these population health management and analytics tools will assist in identifying patients missing crucial preventive care or most in need of care coordination and other support.
About Manifest MedEx
As California’s largest nonprofit health data network, Manifest MedEx delivers real-time information to help healthcare providers care for millions of patients every day. Together, we are transforming the healthcare landscape across the state, supporting California as a leader in affordable, proactive, and compassionate medical care. For more information, visit: www.manifestmedex.org.